Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Monumental Beat Down



Well, I made my decision, paid my money and raced Sport. Talk about a step up! I thought my fitness and skills were improving, but nothing I have done this year could prepare me for racing one full lap at Mohican State Park. I thought about racing Clydesdale as lately I have been hovering around the limit. But in the end I made the decision to race my age group and be done with it.

When I race I tend to forget things, as in hold some back, remember, it's going to be a long race. No more of those short one lap novice races where I can go full bore the entire time. I need to learn to conserve some energy so there is something left in the tank for that second lap, or in this case the climb on the other side of the covered bridge. Also, I need to remember to drink. If I wait untill I am thirsty I'm screwed. there is no reason to ever come back in with over half a bottle left plus an almost full Camelbak. Also, I need to remember to eat. Keep the energy level up.  I know, I know it sounds simple, but this is what might have led to the cramps and serious suffering at about mile 20.

I did manage to accomplish what I wanted to at the start, and that was to use this race as a gauge for next year. Now I know what needs worked on for next year.



It was good to see so many Orrville riders show up and race. Besides myself, Tim B., Joe M., Ryan F., Michael G. and  Mark J. were there flying the Orrville colors. Also, there was the full complement of racers from Team Soupcan, and Wangpig and Chief were there.

In the end, all I can say about my finish is I was not the first one in my age group to come across the line, but damn it, I was not the last one to cross!

Photos taken by Bob (the picture guy) Grimm

1 comment:

Experthasbeen said...

You think that was painful? Wait till you see what I got in store for you this winter!